Mushrooms are useful not only as food but also as medicine because:
- Mushrooms provide lean proteins source as they have zero cholesterol, fats and very low carbohydrates.
- Mushrooms are one of the few natural sources of vitamin D, which is essential for healthy bones and teeth.
- Mushrooms contain more potassium than most other fruit and vegetables: one medium brown mushroom contains more potassium than banana.
- Mushrooms are one of the richest, natural sources of selenium, an essential mineral which strengthens the immune system and may help reduce the risk of cancer and other chronic illnesses.
- Mushrooms are scientifically proven to reduce stress and blood pressure.