Storing lychees can be a challenging task if not done correctly. Following are the steps that one can follow to keep lychee fresh:
- Keep fruit refrigerated at 5°C. To prevent moisture loss, maintain humidity at 90-98%.
- Keep lychees moist by spraying them with water regularly to maintain skin color.
- Store lychees in plastic packaging, a plastic bag or plastic containers.
- Handle lychees with care and do not pile too high to prevent cracking the lychees’ skins.
- Be aware that lychees will discolor in just a couple of hours if left exposed to in-house air-conditioning as dehydration turns lychees brown.